Monday, October 09, 2006

MEXICO's TOP 10

So I know I haven't written in awhile and my only excuse is the lack of noteworthy events in my life. So instead of regalling you with my feminist analysis of my experiences in Mexico, I have decided to make a list in this post. This list comprises the top ten (more but mostly less) things you will only see in Mexico. (in no particular order)

Only in Mexico will you see....

1. A guy at the gym, running on a treadmill and seriously expecting people to think that he is really into his work--sporting a mohawk, Ralph Lauren Polo shirt WITH the collar-popped, wearing sunglasses. No joke. well ok, maybe some other guy was wearing the sunglasses INSIDE the gym, but still it couldda happened. And it's not like i go to such a shi-shi gym either. I mean it's nice but not 'let's work out in Polos while wearing sunglasses and trying to get everyone to look at me nice.' I mean damn.

2. Buses with Spinners. I'm not lying. I have to admit I was kinda in shock when I first saw one but yes, many buses here sport the spinning rims. It's kinda funny too because the rims look like they cost more than the bus itself. And I have to say, Mercedes: I'm very disappointed in your bus craftmanship. VERY disappointed.

3. Buses that make you feel like you have died and gone to heaven when you walk on them. No seriously, if you died (and happen to believe in heaven) I imagine this scene could be very similar to what you would really see. I stepped on to this bus one night and there he was, Jesus, arms open wide occupying the ENTIRE back wall of the bus. He had such a serene smile, so detailed, yet so warming with his halo and the dusty clouds whisping behind him. Oh but that's not all. The huge, incredibly detailed mural of Jesus at the back of the bus was not enough oh thee who doubteth the potentcy (and tackiness) of the Catholic religion here in Mexico. Accompanying our savior was an intricate setup of neon blue track lights strategically placed around the bus so as to maximize the impact. So not only was Jesus highlighted at the back of the bus, but you had the pleasure of sitting under a retro blue haze that may remind some of an acid trip gone bad.

4. Only in Mexico will a blind old man decide to get on the most crowded bus at the busiest time in the morning and decide to try scrunch though the bus asking for money. Now the buses here get very crowded (as in 'no, I can't remove my hand from your ass' crowded but still not as crowded as Japan which was 'if you move have a cm to the left I may be able to exhale' kinda crowded). Now, I'm not knockin' the poor guy for trying to get some money, but I am crackin' on him for beating me and the 30 other people down with his cane while trying to get down the aisle when there was no place for anyone to even move! ahh well what can you do.

5. 60, 70, or 80 yr. old ladies beat you down, push and shove you, and straight sprint to get ahead in line. Forget the fact that you were standing there first. Forget the fact that you were going to be next. Forget the fact that you had been waiting patiently for your turn when they just walk up in there. Yes, you must forget all that, because when it comes to lines in Mexico, especially lines with old ladies in them, they don't exist.

ok....well it looks like my list is only half done. I know there is more to add, I just can't remember it all right now. But keep checking back.

OH! and due to popular demand. I here are some pictures of my housemates. The more I think about it, the more I realized how odd of a bunch we are.


First, we have Louis- a 20 yr. old resident smoker (not referring to cigarretts) who has spent each 5 intervals of his life living between the U.S. and Mexico. I love this kid. I think he's going back to the US next semester to start school. I'll be sad when he leaves. (he's just tired in the picture. It's a bad one. I'll take another one later)








Then, we have Hector. This 28 yr. old soccer obsessed man is apparently fearless on the field but put a little kitten in front of him and he starts to sing little lullibies. (i'm not joking about that part, but shhh don't tell him I said that).







Next, we have Shayne. A 33 yr. old straight, one-armed, white guy from Kansas. Who wouldda thought I would even be living with one of them lol. But he's cool. He's finishing up his degree at ITESO, a university here in GDL. He's making a goofy face in this pic and refused to take a normal pic because he thinks he always look bad. LOL








And then, there's me. The 22 yr. old militant black lesbian with the name that no one in Mexico can pronounce. You have to wonder how we all came together and even more curiously how it all is working out so well. Knock on wood. I can't say, but it is....so far.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home