Monday, July 24, 2006


Going into week five...

So i have a job now. I'm working at a company called ICI. I forget what it stands for, but it's a company that teaches business English to people working in American companies. I can't complain about the hours though I have to be there at 7AM. I work 7-10 am right now. I honestly don't remember the last time I was up at the hour on a consistent basis. It must have been in high school. So it's a little rough. Hopefully, I will get used to it. I like my boss, he's this German guy who has been here for 9 years. He seems nice, but I have heard some not so good things from other women who work there. We'll see how that goes. For once, I think being Black will be an advantage. Somehow, I don't think sexual harrassment is something you talk about in Mexico, machismo country.

Ooh, last tuesday we went to something called lucha libre. Think of WWF wrestling only the guys are old and fat and wear masks when they wrestle. For about $10 we got to sit in the front row (pure gringo luck I think). It was crazy! There were three rounds or so and these old men (like 45ish + it looked like) with big bellies running around and flipping eachother over. To be honest I was quite amazed to see these old, fat men doing cartwheels and flips across the ring. Not all of them were old either to be fair. And if that's not enough, the wrestlers tend to throw eachother oustide the ring and into the first row and will wrestle right there in the stands! I got crushed once. They definitely landed right on top of me before I had time to move. My blonde friend even had to kiss one of the guys! LOL And if that doesn't do it for you, the wrestling match isn't even the main event. The whole purpose of the event is for guys to gawk at women. Every five minutes or so, the guys in the crowd will stand and turn to some blonde women and yell and point at her (saying something in Spanish) until she stands up and turns around for them. How sexist can you get, right? If she refuses, she of course gets booed. So much for feminism. Apparently, you dont have to be blonde to get gawked at but this Black girl in the front row got no love (thankfully). Again, I'm seeing this as an asset for the first time. If you can put aside any feminist/gender equality/or any other crazy American notions about men and women being equal for a few hours, Lucha libre is some of the most fun you can have.

What else, so everyone left this weekend to either head back to their home town or off to their new destination to begin teaching as we graduated from our program this past Friday. I have to say that I am glad it is over. I think the certificate itself is more useful than the clas. Apparently, just by having the certificate you can get things easier like work visas, apartments, etc. So we'll see about that. Speaking of apartments, I still haven't found one yet. I did meet this irish girl, however, who is interested in looking for a place, so we are looking together with the intention of getting a third roommate who is Mexican or just someone who speaks Spanish.

Well, there is more of course: (clubbing, les/gay scene. thoughts on gender) But for another day.

Hittin the hay.

Aja

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home